Visual storytelling is incredibly powerful, particularly when it comes to conveying emotion. Feature films deliver the ultimate form of visual storytelling, connecting us with narratives that deliver impact. Territory Studio uses motion design and visual effects technology to enhance and enrich a cinematic world to bridge fiction and fact, the future and now.
David Sheldon-Hicks started Territory Studio in 2010. Trained in graphic design, he was always fascinated with moving imagery and using technology to build worlds. David has worked on major Hollywood blockbusters, including Prometheus, The Martian, Casino Royale and Guardians of the Galaxy.
In episode 188 of Be The Drop, David shares behind the scenes insights from the making of movies you love. He explains the importance of simplicity to the creative process, and how emotion and technology can interact to create powerful modern-day stories.
“It will only resonate if you think about the emotion. The technology is just our paintbrush.”
In this episode with Territory Studio, you will learn:
- David’s involvement in mega-movies like Prometheus, Blade Runner 2049 & Casino Royale
- How David’s graphics can appear live on the film set in front of the actors
- How technology and emotional intent interacted on Guardians of the Galaxy
- How feature films become part of our cultural consciousness
- The impact of bringing emotion to technology on the level of trust we have in it
- The importance of failing fast when combining technology and storytelling
- Why you should never believe in your own hype
- The power of escapism when it makes us think about what we’re doing now
“I always ask Directors, ‘what is your point? What are you trying to say?'”
Are you an Australian entrepreneur who is considering starting your own podcast? At Narrative Marketing, we deliver a full range of podcast production services. Or if you’d like help getting started to produce your own content, I also deliver podcast training programs.
If you’ve got any questions or feedback about this episode, I’d love to hear your comments! Want more? Join our FREE Facebook Group where we provide tools and resources to help you supercharge your digital storytelling content.
For subscription and channel details and links, scroll to the bottom.
Want more? Join our FREE Facebook Group where we provide tools and resources to help you supercharge your digital storytelling content.
The Be The Drop podcast is brought to you by Narrative Marketing, the Brand Storytelling Superheroes!
We release new content each week!
SUBSCRIBE on YouTube here for the full interview video, behind the scenes, bloopers & more.
CONTACT US email@example.com